We have recently been named a Centre of Excellence by the European Confederation of Medical Mycology (ECMM) and awarded Diamond status!
What we do
The Mycology Reference Centre provides a specialist medical mycology service for the North West of England and further afield. This includes a mycology reference service to patients of Wythenshawe Hospital, the Manchester Medical Microbiology Partnership, and to any other hospitals that refer specimens.
Antifungal and mycological advice can be offered on the diagnosis of disease, clinical management and care of patients.
It also acts as a focus for training and research in Medical Mycology in the North West, as an integral part of the UK Clinical Mycology Network. The service will be provided by MRCM within the University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust (UHSMT) with key relationships with the Manchester Medical Microbiology Partnership, PHE and the newly configured Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences. This will leave the laboratory ideally positioned to develop further networks in Manchester in keeping with the recent Modernisation of Pathology proposals.
The key aims and objectives of the MRCM are to provide and maintain:
- An exemplary local and reference mycology service,
- National and local leadership in medical mycology diagnostic services,
- A service, which is comprehensive, interpretative, accredited and appropriate to user needs,
- Education and training for all staff that is appropriate and relevant to the departmental goals,
- A safe, appropriate and comfortable working environment,
- UKAS ISO 15189,
- Good working relationships within microbiology, pathology and with other departments within the Trust, and colleagues in other hospitals and Universities.
The clinical Mycology Reference Centre, Manchester (MRCM) is situated at Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, on the second floor of the Education & Research Centre in a modern, high quality building re-designed and re-fitted for laboratory accommodation in 2009.
The MRCM laboratory is open from 08.30 to 17.00 hours Monday to Friday.